The reason many people prefer European roulette over other variants is it has a single zero (0) instead of double zero (00). Our comprehensive guide covers everything you need to know before playing European roulette online.
Roulette is a popular table game that has been gracing online and land-based casinos for many years. Among all variations, European roulette is the most played game. The low house edge of around 2.7% is what has contributed to its popularity in the world. Moreover, the European roulette wheel has multiple bet options with decent payout odds.
Unlike American roulette with 38 pockets, the European version has 37 numbered divisions, including a zero. Though there are different versions of roulette games, the objective is the same. Players bet on the division where the ball lands. Whether you want to spin the roulette wheel for fun or real money, our complete guide will provide you with everything you need to know.
How to Play Roulette
Like other roulette variants, the rules of playing European roulette are easy to understand. You simply place chips on your preferred numbers, and you click or tap on the 'Play' button. The player has an option to rebet or straightforward bets. Nevertheless, there are several elements you must understand before you start playing.
Like aforementioned, the objective in European roulette is to correctly guess where the ball lands after spinning. Before you start playing, you must know that the European roulette wheel has a total of 37 numbered pockets. The numbers 1 to 36 are marked in red and blackjack colours, and the zero is in the green pocket. Here is a step by step guide to playing roulette online and at land-based casinos:
- Pick a Game
- The first thing is choosing a European roulette game you want to play. The leading online casinos offer different types of European roulette games. Make sure you understand the rules and other basic elements.
- Choose your Stake Size
- When you open a European roulette game, you will see a row of coloured chips with different values. Pick a chip based on your bankroll.
- Place Your Bets
- Pick any chip you want and place it where you think the ball will settle. Note that the stakes will vary depending on whether you use inside bets or outside bets.
- Spin the Wheel
- Once you have set your chips, it's time to hit the spin button. You can continue betting until you see "no more bets" on the game screen.
- Other Betting Options
European roulette games have the option to rebet using the previous chips. Also, the game has the option to clear any or all chips or double your stakes for bigger payouts.
The good thing about roulette is that you can follow these steps to play at online casinos and land-based platforms.
Types of Roulette Bets
The betting layout in a standard roulette table features two main categories, the inside and outside bets. With the inside bets, chips are placed on individual numbers and their combinations, while outside bets chips are placed on the larger groups of numbers. The following are the main types of European roulette bets:
These are the inside bets you can play in a roulette game:
- Straight Bet: The betting chips are placed on a single number in straight bets. This bet offers a payout of 35 to 1. You only win if the ball lands on the selected number.
- Split Bet: The betting chips are placed on two adjoining numbers. This wager may cover two numbers such as 10/11. The payout odds for this bet is 17 to 1.
- Street Bet: The betting chips are placed on three adjacent numbers in a straight line. This 3-number wager may include numbers 0, 1, 2 or 0, 2, 3. The payout odds for this bet is 11 to 1.
- Corner Bet: The betting chips are placed on four numbers in this wager. Also, it covers numbers 28-29-31-32. The payout for this wager is 8 to 1.
- Line Bet: The bet involves six numbers or 2 rows of three numbers. The betting chips are placed on the line or border between them. The payout for this wager is 5 to 1.
The following are the outside bets in European roulette games:
- Column Bet: This wager features an entire column, and the betting chips are placed on 2 to 1 box at the end of the column. The payout for this bet is 2 to 1.
- Dozen Bet: This wager features a group of 12 numbers, and the betting chips are placed on the 1 to 12, 13 to 24, 25 to 36 boxes. The payout for this wager is 2 to 1.
- Color Bet: This wager features the red or black numbers, and the betting chips are placed on the red box or the black box. The payout for this wager is 1 to 1.
- Odd/Even Bet: This wager features all the even or odd numbers, and the betting chips are placed on the Even or Odd box. The payout for this wager is 1 to 1.
- Bet on Low or High: This wager features all the low and high paying numbers. The betting chips are placed on numbers 1 to 18 or high paying numbers 19 to 36. The payout for this number is 1 to 1.
Special Call Bets in Roulette
Ardent European roulette players understand that their additional European roulette wagers you can choose from. These special wagers are:
- Voisins du Zéro Bet: The betting chips are placed on numbers that are neighbors to zero. On a European roulette wheel, you bet on number pockets of 22 and 25. The numbers involved in this bet are 22, 18, 29, 7, 28, 12, 35, 3, 26, 0, 32, 15, 19, 4, 21, 2 and 25.
- Tiers du Cylindre Bet: The betting chips are placed on the exact numbers covering the voisin du zero. This is a 6 split bet covering numbers 27 to 33 on the roulette wheel. The numbers include 27, 13, 36, 11, 30, 8, 23, 10, 5, 24, 16, and 33.
- Orphelins Bet: The betting chips in this wager are placed on 8 numbers on the roulette wheel. The wheel has two sets of numbers that are included. These numbers are 17, 34, 6, 1, 20, 14, 31, and 9. This bet is usually made with 5 chips.
Tips to Winning in Roulette Online
Though European roulette is a pure game of chance, you can follow some tips from successful players to increase your chances of winning bets. Here are some tips you can apply:
Focus on Outside Bets: While there are numerous betting options, it is highly recommended to stick to outside bets. Even though this bet offers high payouts, they are very risky. They are only good for long term benefits.
Try and Avoid the Green Zero Pocket: Every number in European roulette pays 35 to 1, including the single zero. However, you must understand that you will always lose on red/black or odd/even bets if the ball lands on a zero.
Apply Bankroll Management Skills: It is recommended to plan your budget before you start playing roulette. The first rule is never to bet what you cannot afford to lose. With this skill, you can know if you are profiting or losing in your roulette game.
Take Advantage of Bonuses: The best roulette online casinos use different types of bonuses and promotional offers to attract players to sign up. We recommend using these offers to boost your bankroll as you play roulette online casino games.
Don't Chase your Losses: The fact is that you will lose and win when you play roulette. Chasing your losses will eventually lead you to bankruptcy. Get used to taking a break when you are experiencing a losing streak.
Live Dealer European Roulette
Like other popular table games, European roulette is offered at live dealer casino sites. The live roulette games follow the same rules and policies as the RNG-based roulette games. What attracts many people to the live dealer version is that you can chat with the dealers as you play. Additionally, live dealers are knowledgeable and ready to help you with any information as you play.
Brief History of European Roulette
Did you know that roulette is marking the 365th year since its invention? While the exact origins of roulette are unknown, it is estimated that it was invented in the 17th century. This game is believed to have been invented by a French scientist called Pascal Blaise. However, the game was not popular until it was introduced to the Europeans in the 1790s.
The first modern roulette game was introduced in 1842, and since then, it has been the best option for online gambling enthusiasts. The roulette game received some changes when it was taken to Europe. The double zero was replaced by a single, which increased the chances of winning bigger payouts. Today, you can find different variants of roulette games at the best online casinos.
The roulette table game has won the hearts of many people with its simple rules and numerous betting options. Even more exciting about European roulette is you can play in free mode or for real money. The information we've shared should help you play roulette at any online or brick and mortar casino. Though roulette is a pure game of chance, you can apply different betting systems and strategies to increase your chances of winning.
Is European or American roulette better?
European roulette has a lower house edge, making it the better option for players. American roulette has more chances to lose, with 38 pockets compared to 37 on European wheels. This is due to the addition of a double zero pocket on American wheels. The extra pocket increases the house edge from 2.7% to 5.26%. So if you’re looking to play roulette and want the best chance of winning, go with European roulette every time!
Do I need to download any software to play European roulette online?
No. You can play European roulette games instantly through standard browsers like Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
Can I play European roulette for free?
Sure, you can play your favorite roulette game for free at any online casino or gaming platform.
Can I apply a strategy in European roulette?
Though roulette is a game of chance, you can use some betting systems to maximize your chances of winning.
Is the European Roulette game rigged?
Online roulette games are not rigged. These games use Random Number Generator (RNG) software to ensure that all game outcomes are fair and random.
What is the best bet in European roulette?
The best European roulette bet is on a single number, as you receive a payout of 35 to 1.