One of the most common questions you'll come across in gambling is whether casino games are honest or not. This post will address everything you need to know about honesty in casino games.
You'll hardly walk in land-based or online casinos and miss slot machines. They are the most popular and loved games by people of all experiences and budgets. Moreover, slot games are not only fun to play. They, too, offer some of the biggest payouts, especially the progressive slots.
The popularity of slot machines has led people to question whether they are honest or not. With so many legit and rogue casinos offering online slot games, it is possible to come across rigged games. This article explains how slot machines work, the importance of Random Number Generator (RNG) software, and more helpful information.
What is a Slot Machine?
Originally known as one-arm bandits, slot machines are casino gambling games with spinning reels and symbols. The games are purely based on luck as winning symbols are picked randomly. The prizes you win in slot machines are determined by the matched symbols on the payline.
Slot machines are not new in the market. They have been adorning casino floors since the 19th century. While the original games relied on springs and gears to spin the reels, the modern slot games use Random Number Generator (RNG) software to determine where the symbols will land.
How Slot Games Work - Mathematically
To answer the question of whether slot machines are honest or not, you must first know how they work mathematically. The logic behind the original slot games is easy to comprehend. But things can get a little complicated with modern video slots.
To know how these games work, you must understand the basic probability or the likelihood of an event happening. Any possibility of something happening is represented as a number between 0 and 1.
How Classic Slots Work
As earlier mentioned, classic slot machines work on elaborate configurations of gears and levers. The reels are supported by a central metal shaft, and the shaft is connected to a handle that sets things in motion. The mechanism has a braking system with sensors that help determine the winning combination.
A standard classic slot machine has 3 reels with 10 symbols on each of them. The odds of landing any symbol on the lines was 1/10. To determine the odds of getting a particular combination of symbols, you multiply 1/10X1/10X1/10 to get an outcome of 1/1000.
How Online Slots Work
Modern slot games are a bit complicated, but it's possible to understand how they work. Unlike classic slots, they have an in-built RNG computer program that determines the symbol combination. The advantage of new slot machines is they can have unlimited symbols. Also, developers can adjust the odds of a particular symbol landing, enabling them to offer massive jackpots.
Are Slot Machines Rigged?
Slot machines are designed to have a mathematical advantage over the player, but this does not equal to rigging or cheating. Your chance of winning in any game is completely random, which makes it hard for casino operators to rig.
Besides, casinos don't have to rig slot machine games to make a profit because the house edge gives them an advantage over the player in the long run. For instance, if a slot game has an RTP of 97%, it means that the house edge is 3%. For every $100 you wager, the casino makes $3 whether you win or lose.
Additionally, playing games at a regulated casino is much safer. These games are thoroughly audited for fairness by independent agencies before they are listed in casinos. Many casino operators understand the risks and dangers involved in cheating or rigging games. One could lose a license or even worse.
Nevertheless, slot games are not all perfect. They are mechanical devices subject to malfunction. But malfunctioning does not mean that a slot machine is rigged. Malfunctioning can happen at any time and on any slot machine game.
Playing rigged slot machines poses many risks to players, including losing money and personal information to fraudsters.
How to Know if a Slot Game is Fair
Do you doubt whether your slot game is honest or not? Well, there are certain things you can check out to determine the fairness of your game. Here are some tips to follow to avoid playing rigged online games:
Licensing and Regulation of the Casino
A reputable online casino must have a valid license from a recognized authority. The licensing information must be displayed on the website for everyone to see. Some of the respected authorities include the Malta Gaming Authority (MGA), Curacao eGaming, the UK Gambling Commission (UKGC), and Gibraltar.
Consider Game Providers
As you know, casino operators don't create games; they liaise with developers to supply them. The technology used and experience varies from one developer to another. Make sure you play games from top-notch companies like Microgaming, NetEnt, Playtech, and Pragmatic Play.
Check Out the Slot Parameters
Do understand that every slot game has unique parameters. You will find a varying number of reels, pay lines, payback percentage, volatility, bonus features, and coin value. Ensure you know how each of them works before you start playing any game.
Read Game Reviews
Most slots have sections where players can leave honest reviews after playing. Take time to read the reviews to determine the fairness and other features of the game you wish to play. You can also find slot reviews on our recommended online gambling sites.
Evaluate the Game Outcomes
Evaluating outcomes in online slots is relatively easy. Take time to research different slot titles to maximize your winning opportunities. Proper research will help you to know the best stake to start with and the possible payout you'll receive.
Key Slot Machine Features
Considering what we've shared in the previous sections, there are important aspects to note about a slot machine. These are the key features you'll find in all online casinos:
Random Number Generator (RNG)
The outcome in slot games is determined by the RNG computer program. Make sure the software is regularly audited by a third-party agency before playing slot machines. This software acts as the brain of a slot machine as it is used to power the microchip in the game to generate random outcomes on every spin.
Moreover, the RNG software generates numerous combinations every millisecond and creates values going up to billion numbers. These values are then translated and assigned randomly to specific symbols on the reels. There, it is impossible to predict the outcome of the next spin or have an influence on future spins.
Slot RTP and House Edge
Two key features that influence the fairness of a slot game are Theoretical Return to Player (RTP) and the house edge. These two work complimentary and entangled with each other.
The RTP percentage shows what a slot machine pays out on average, and the figure is always less than 100%. For instance, a slot game can have an RTP of 98%, which means it will pay $98 for every $100 you spend.
On the other hand, the house edge is the opposite of the RTP. This is the cut or profit of the casino on every game.
Nevertheless, you should not take these numbers literally as they are and think that you will win exactly that. Though the slot RTP might be appealing, you may still end up making losses.
Volatility or variance is not a common term to many slot players. It is the variance that makes most people think that slot machines are rigged. Moreover, the variance shows the risk involved in playing a certain slot game and how fast it will consume your bankroll. In this sense, there are three variance levels in slot machines;
- Low Volatility: A low variance slot machine offers small payouts at a fairly regular rate. Though the jackpot prize is not very appealing, it's worth your time. These types of slot games are suitable for casual players in search of fun.
- Medium Volatility: Medium variance slots combine features from the low and high volatility games. The payouts in these games are moderate and far more frequent.
- High Volatility: High variance slots are far much riskier than the previous two. The good thing about these slots is that the payouts are significantly bigger.
When discussing the vital slot features, you cannot fail to mention the hit frequency. The hit frequency determines the percentage of wins that are likely to offer a payout. Likewise, this figure is based on vast-scale sampling.
For instance, if you take a million spins on a slot game and decide that around 50,000 have been successful. It means that the slot has a possible hit frequency of 50%.
Keep in mind that hit frequency is not linked to the RTP percentage but rather to the game's volatility.
Should You Play Slot Games?
At this point, you might be wondering whether or not to play slot machine games. We have provided the advantages and disadvantages of slot games to help you make a sound decision. These are the pros and cons you get when playing slot machine games:
- Progressive Jackpots: Many games offer big jackpot prizes to lucky players.
- Easy to Learn: You can start playing slot games without skills and land big wins on small bets.
- Plenty of Options: Online slots come in different forms and designs, including classic, 3D, progressive jackpot, video slots, and live slot games.
- Higher Payouts: Most slot machines have higher payouts than other casino games. You will find the majority of games with RTPs as high as 99%.
- Suites all Players: Slots are designed for players with low and high bankrolls. You can choose penny slots that accept one coin and win a decent payout.
- Bonus Features: Slot machines have special bonus features to enhance your winning opportunities. The most common lucrative features are free spins, multipliers, scatters, wild symbols, and triggering the feature.
- Fair Payouts: Playing slots at reputable online casinos that guarantee fair payouts as the games use certified RNG software.
- No Use of Strategies: Slots are games of chance, and you cannot use a strategy to influence the outcome.
- Hard to Determine Odds: It is not possible to figure out the odds that are used in determining payouts in slot games.
- Can be Addictive: Though most casinos try to stick to a responsible gambling policy, the nature of slot games can make them addictive.
Slot Tips and Tricks to Winning
This section covers helpful slot tips and tricks you can follow to maximize your winning opportunities at any casino:
- Pick Slot Games with High RTPs of between 95% and 99% too big returns from your wagers.
- Play slot machines with special bonus features that enhance your winning.
- Don't focus on winning the progressive jackpot.
- Remember that you can not influence outcomes in slot machines.
- Take advantage of the casino and slots bonuses.
- Play online slots with free spins.
- Have personal betting limits when playing slots.
- Choose games from reputable software developers.
- Learn bankroll management skills.
- Never chase your losses.
Hopefully, our comprehensive guide has answered your question of whether slot machines are honest or not. One fact we cannot deny is that the house always has an advantage over players in the long run. Slot games are designed in this manner because casinos are businesses that need to make a profit legally. We've shared some advantages and disadvantages of playing slot machines to help you make the best choice.