Blackjack games come with more exclusive rules than any other casino game. One of the exciting things is you can use a blackjack strategy card to maximize your chances of winning.
Blackjack is a popular card game founded on solid mathematical formulas. This implies that you can utilize various tools to increase your winning opportunities. The legal and widely acceptable method is the using blackjack strategy charts and cards. Knowing the game's essential rules and having an optimal strategy is key to improving your chances of beating the dealer's hand. Other than these cards, players can use other blackjack techniques like card counting to lower the house edge in their favor. Carry on reading to learn more about these cards and whether you can openly use them while playing at online and land-based US casinos.
Is it Legal to Use a Blackjack Strategy Chart in Casinos?
Of course, yes, it's 100% legal to use your blackjack strategy card or chart at any casino. But the biggest concern is whether it is profitable or not. To start with, blackjack is a game of both skill and chance. Having sufficient knowledge of the basic strategies will help players in making the right decision and, therefore, improve their odds of winning. However, it is impossible to master all blackjack strategies and rule variations; that's why many casinos allow players to use strategy cards. There is no law or rule that will enable casinos to restrict new and experienced players from using strategy charts. Though casinos will allow the use of these charts, players can only confirm them when stuck but not spend the whole time reading them. This brings us back to the fact that you must have a basic strategy other than the cards.
What is the Blackjack Strategy Card?
As the name suggests, a blackjack strategy chart can be a pocket-size or large card with guidelines for a well-optimized blackjack strategy. These cards come with all the possible moves a player can take in various situations, including methods for the common rule variations. Players can purchase blackjack strategy cards from online stores or any gaming shops in town. The cards are made of high-quality plastic material, and they come in different designs, sizes, and credit values.
As aforementioned, a blackjack strategy indicates the best possible move you can move in a particular situation to better your odds of winning. The decision is based on your dealt cards, and the dealer's up card. There are five moves you can make once the cards are dealt in blackjack. The five options are:
- Can I or Should I Double Down: Doubling your hand is an excellent move as you are sure of winning big payouts. However, some casinos restrict this move because they know players have a high chance of winning.
- Should I Hit or Stand: Another decision you can make in a blackjack game is whether or not to take another card. You can request for another card depending on the cards you have been dealt.
- Can I or Should I Split: Splitting is allowed if your first two cards are a pair or if you are dealt two 10-value cards.
- Can I or Should I Surrender: If the casino allows the surrender option, then you can only do so on the first two cards that are dealt. Surrender should be the first thing that comes to mind when you are dealt cards.
The steps for using blackjack strategy cards are as follows:
- Pick the Correct Strategy Card: When choosing a strategy card, you need to consider the number of decks that are used in the game. Most cards come with decks ranging between 1 and 8. Also, check whether the dealer must hit or stand on soft 17.
- Select a Row for Your Hand on the Card: Once you have selected the right strategy card, feel free to consult from it at any time. The cards are split into three main sections. The front part of the card has sections for both soft and hard hands.
- Identify the Dealer's Upcard: The next move is finding the dealer's upcard to determine the action to take. The dealer's upcard of Ace is marked by 'A,' and upcards Ten, Jack, Queen, and King have a value of ten.
- Find your Strategy at the Intersection: After locating the appropriate hand and the dealer's upcard, the perfect move appears at the meeting point.
Advanced Blackjack Strategy
The above basic strategy is simplified to make it easy for new players to memorize. Nevertheless, the chart doesn't list all situations you can make in advanced situations. That's where the advanced blackjack strategy is applied. If you are willing to take your gaming experience a notch higher, these strategy cards are for you. Though they may appear complicated, they are worth learning. Here are some advanced strategies you can use in blackjack:
Treating 3-4 Card Hands: A player may have a complex hand like 15 or 16, not three cards but three or more. For instance, if you are dealt a 16 against a dealer's face-up card of 10, a basic strategy recommends hitting on 16, but an advanced system forbids getting another card.
Betting on Insurance: Many players consider insurance a no-go-zone bet. However, this bet is a strategic blackjack side bet that requires card counting skills to know when they're a few 10s left in the shoe. This creates a favorable chance to play the insurance bet.
Surrender when Needed: Though the surrender option may not be available at all casinos, it allows you to fold a hand and take back half of your bet. This can be a good move, especially for players with bad hands.
How to Memorize Blackjack Strategy Charts
There are a few tips you can use to memorize the basic blackjack strategy cards. Nevertheless, it requires players to simplify the basic strategy to make it easy to remember. Also, some people may prefer different approaches to mastering the strategy cards.
Play at Live Dealer Games
In live blackjack games, you can observe how the game is being played, and the action other players take based on their cards and the dealer's face-up card. Anyone wanting to advance in the blackjack strategy should observe how other players are applying it first.
Practice with Free Blackjack Games
Another helpful tool for memorizing strategy cards in blackjack is practicing with the free blackjack games. Free play blackjack games are available at all reputable online casinos in the US.
Even though it is not guaranteed to win all games by following basic blackjack strategy cards, they have possible combinations to boost your winning. Memorizing the charts is essential if you are planning on long-term profit. The best thing is that using blackjack strategy charts is not forbidden in land-based and online casinos.