No doubt that American blackjack is the most popular variant in the US. This card game has better odds compared to other versions of blackjack. Unravel everything about American black jack in our comprehensive guide.
If there is a game you'll hardly miss in any casino, then it's blackjack. Besides being the most popular card game, blackjack also comes in different variations. American blackjack is one of the variants you can find at leading online and land-based casinos. The attractive thing about this version is it allows players to employ strategies and tactics to beat the house. Moreover, this game has side bets that make it more entertaining than other blackjack games. Learn everything about American blackjack, including the key features, the playing rules, payouts, and top winning tips and strategies you can apply.
What Is American Blackjack?
American blackjack is not a game but a term covering different versions, including Atlantic City Blackjack, Vegas Strip Blackjack, and Vegas Downtown games. Of course, there are some slight differences in rules and gameplay, but they are all based on the original blackjack game. So, what makes American blackjack unique?
- You play with 6 to 8 decks instead of 2 decks, making card counting almost impossible.
- You can double down and split on any hand.
- You can play the surrender option to save part of your wager.
- A blackjack pays at odds of 3:2 or 6:5, depending on the game.
- You can save on potential side bet losses.
As you can see, American blackjack has more options than European blackjack games. The most appealing feature is the Hole card that can save you from potential losses.
How To Play American Blackjack Games
One common thing among all blackjack games is the basic rules. It all comes down to beating the dealer. And the only way to achieve this is by getting a hand as close to 21 as possible.
Like other blackjack games, the first step is making bets, and then both dealer and player receive two cards each. The player is dealt two cards face down, and the dealer gets one face-up card and one face-down card.
The dealer's face-down card is known as a Hole Card, and it's what distinguishes American blackjack from European blackjack. With a hole card, players can check their total for a blackjack. In a case where the dealer has a blackjack, the game round ends, and the dealer wins.
After the cards are dealt with, players have different choices to make. The options you have are:
- Double Down: A player doubles the bet amount if they think they have a chance of beating the dealer. You can double down on any card total, which is possible after splitting.
- Splitting: This is when you divide your initial hand into two. It is recommended when a dealer has a weak hand, and you can split it up to three times.
- Stand: Standing means you play with the current hand without requesting additional cards. The total bet stays the same during standing.
- Hit: Hitting refers to requesting one more card. However, the total bet remains unchanged.
- Surrender: Surrender refers to giving up seeing how the game ends. The original wager drops by 0.5. With American blackjack, you can surrender at any time.
- Insurance Bet: An insurance bet allows you to place a side bet when the dealer has an ace. You can only win the insurance bet if your second card is a 10 and they add up to 21.
Payouts In American Blackjack
The benefit of playing American Blackjack is the games come with different payout systems. These are the main blackjack payout systems you may come across:
- Natural Blackjack: This is the most traditional blackjack hand offering a payout of 3:2. However, we have games that offer a payout of up to 6:5.
- Insurance Bet: If you get an insurance bet, you get an average payout of 2:1.
- Beating the Dealer in Any other Way: If you happen to beat the dealer in any other way, you receive a payout of 1:1.
House Edge In American Blackjack
Many factors affect the house edge in blackjack games. Moreover, the edge varies because of the game rules and available side bets. New betting rules like surrender give players a significant advantage over the casino in the long run. A typical house edge in blackjack is 0.50% and a basic strategy can help maintain a low edge. Therefore, it is wise to stick to blackjack strategy charts to gain an advantage over the dealer.
Strategies And Winning Tips In American Blackjack
Blackjack requires skills and tactics to maximize your chances of winning. Many websites and books offer strategies and secrets to beating the dealer's hand. Whether you are a newbie or an expert, these simple tips will benefit you:
- Use the surrender option whenever you have a weak hand.
- Master basic blackjack strategy charts and stick to them.
- Read the rules of any blackjack game before you start playing.
- Learn money management skills and stick to your budget.
- Find games that offer 3:2 payouts.
Playing American Blackjack Online
As earlier mentioned, you can find American blackjack games at the best online casinos in the US. The top casinos offer different variants with exclusive features to maximize your chances of winning. Even more appealing is that you can play the RNG-powered version or play live dealer games. Many people prefer live American blackjack games because they are operated by real human dealers. Since blackjack is a game of skill, you need regular practice and an excellent strategy to boost your chances of winning.
One thing you should never forget is checking the rules before you play any game. Furthermore, you must pick a reputable casino site with a valid license. The best casinos offer huge bonuses, a vast range of games, multiple convenient payment methods, and unparalleled support. Remember, all casino games are for entertainment purposes and not a source of income. Gamble responsibly.